The Lotrščak Tower is surely one of Zagreb’s landmarks. It is located at the entrance of Gradec in the Old Town, next to what used to be the small city gate called Dverce at the Strossmayer promenade. Along with the Stone Gate and the Observatory (the Priest’s Tower), Lotrščak is considered the best preserved construction which used to be a part of the Zagreb defence walls. Lotrščak was initially called the Dverce Tower but it changed its name in 1646 when the bell was introduced. Due to its square ground plan, the structure of its walls and proportions, the tower belongs to Romanesque fortification buildings, which was after its original function adapted to the requirements of different historic periods. Its appearance today was established in the 19th century. The tower is home to the Grič cannon, which is fired every day to mark noon. On the top of the tower is a cupola offering a lovely view of the city. The Lotrščak Tower is a protected cultural monument.
Photo © Turistička zajednica grada Zagreba. Photo by M. Mihaljević.