Zagreb’s Dolac Market opened in 1930 on the site of the old city walls, which had been demolished. After it was decided that the old market called Harmica on the main square (Ban Josip Jelačić Square) would be relocated, the question was where its new location would be. The space between St. Mary’s Church and Kaptol was suggested by architect Viktor Kovačić. Besides the defence walls, several old buildings were also demolished to make room for Dolac. Therefore, today the market is located in between Ban Jelačić Square, Kaptol and the Old Town. It is a combination of an open (fruit and vegetables) and closed (meat, below the open area) market. North of Dolac is Petrica Kerempuh Square where flowers are sold, while Ban Jelačić Square and Dolac are connected by a street called Splavnica, also a flower market. In 2006 the market was adorned with a statue of the traditional market saleslady kumica. Historically, this has been a nickname referring to women from the area of Zagreb who grow their own fruit and vegetables or produce home-made cottage cheese and cream, which they then sell on the market.
Photo © Turistička zajednica grada Zagreba. Photo by M. Vrdoljak.